Saturday, December 3, 2011

Software Idea #1 - GoOS

First off, I should mention that I am currently using CyanogenMod 7.2 Nightly's on my Nexus One. I have not replaced anything right now, but I do dabble in other ROM's and replacement Apps from time to time when I get bored.

I had been studying for my final exams for most of today and I decided to take a little break. I was fooling around going through the android market and I ran across the GoLauncher EX app listed.

I remember using it for a few months last year. I liked it, but when I reinstalled CyanogenMod, I couldn't be bothered reinstalling a custom launcher and left it.

I decided to check the other apps by the Go Dev Team listed on the market. I was blown away. They have an app for every type of replacement I could think of! Here's a list of the main apps for any readers who are curious:

  • GoLauncher EX 
    • Tons of customizable, installable widgets
    • Tons of installable themes
  • Go SMS Pro
    • tons of themes for emoticons, look and feel, colors, etc
    • Plug-ins to expand functionality (ie - add facebook chat compatability in to the sms app)
  • Go Weather widget
    • Numerous themes can be installed from the market
  • Go Keyboard
    • Numerous languages can be installed via the market
  • Go Contacts EX
    • themes for the dialer can be installed via the market
  • Go Book
    • mobile book reader
    • online book creator app available
  • Go Score
    • sports score widget / app
  • Go Locker
    • custom lockscreen app

There are hundreds of themes and add ons for every one of those applications. The best part is that the main apps are ALL FREE. The themes are mostly paid apps but the part that matters is still free of charge.

What's more is that these apps are all pretty superior to the AOSP offerings from what I've seen. MIUI is the closest thing I've seen to an OS based on third party app offerings though, and it's not really the same thing.

I think it would be amazing if either the Go Dev Team put together their own OS OR the MIUI team absorbs the Go Dev Team and makes something amazing.

They are making some amazing products, but it's all so fragmented. The current app / theme offerings are strewn haphazardly across 3 or more different Android Market accounts. Consolidation is what these guys need, and what better way to consolidate than to create an entire OS for your products.

Just my 2 cents though.

-Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment