Friday, December 2, 2011

Material Suggestion #1 - NO MORE PLASTIC

This post is going to be fairly short. It will also be more "Rant" than I planned to have on this site, but I digress, it needs to be said.

OEM's of the world - STOP USING GLOSSY PLASTIC FOR EVERYTHING

Seriously, whose stupid idea was this? The current trend is to make devices that are created to be used by fingers. Human fingers secrete oils. Oils from fingers leave SMUDGE MARKS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

This is fairly unavoidable on the screen (For NOW), but this phenomenon can certainly be avoided on the rest of the device. Case in point - here is a picture I took of my HP Touchpad. I wiped it down 2 days before this:


There is absolutely no excuse for this. There exist many materials that look futuristic and sexy without being a terrible fingerprint tragedy. Here are some alternative materials companies should make better use of:
  • Matte plastics
  • Rubberized plastic (Droid Incredible, etc)
  • Anodized aluminum (Nokia N9, Nexus One, etc)
  • Magnesium (rubber coated for extra awesome eg: IBM ThinkPad)
See? That wasn't so hard. I'll admit - one of the reasons I've been holding off on buying a new phone / laptop is because I can't seem to find one that meets my price / specification range that's not a fingerprint magnet. I don't think I'm alone here either.

Not sure if I'm in the right here, but I blame HP specifically for bringing about this trend of glossy crap. I seem to remember them being the first ones to put glossy laptops in to mainstream production. Shame on you.

-Joel


No comments:

Post a Comment