Monday, July 1, 2013

What lies beneath the Surface?

With the release of Windows 8, most of the tech world has come to the conclusion that touch interfaces and tablets are here to stay.

The next stage of Microsoft's Windows evolution was the line of Surface branded tablet PCs. This was their hero device for their new OS and it was released with this ad:



Well, that sucked.

Why? Well it didn't actually TELL me anything about the device they were selling. Why should I care about this thing? Will it teach me to dance and twerk like the hip young kids are doing? Probably not.

No, this is a computer and computers are devices to help make your life easier. How will this new device differ from my current aging Dell laptop? Furthermore, how does this differ from the huge variety of released Windows 8 touch laptops? The ad fails to tell me. It grabbed my attention but at the end of the day I'm still clueless as to what they're selling. Actually, that's wrong. I'm a nerd and keep up with this. When my grandmother saw this, she simply commented on the funny dancing and went back to watching Dancing with the Stars or something. 

THAT particular advertisement was followed up with this one: 


This one is for their "Pro" line of Surface devices. This one is a bit more focused on the capabilities of the device showing it being used to do something with spreadsheets and charts and I'm fairly sure I saw a flash of the mail app in there.

Again, same overall problem. Too much dancing. Not enough persuasion. How does this dancemachine outrank dell's latest plastic computer? I don't know!

I understand Microsoft is trying to appeal to a more youthful audience with these things. I guess you can call them the iPad generation. However, this is not the way to do it. Apple commercials always make it a point to show you what you can DO with the devices. They show how these devices can take the mundane things you do daily and make them FUN AND INNOVATIVE. 

Microsoft needs to take a hint from that approach. Sure, make it cool and dancetastic, but also show how this thing can be used in day to day activities. So many companies have a difficult time doing this and I've always felt that it results in decreased sales. Finding that fine line between functionality and entertainment is the key to successful marketing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment