Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Convoluted Network #2 - Yo Dawg...

Yo dawg, I heard you like networks, so we put Wi-Fi in yo Wi-Fi so you can connect while you connect.

No, but in all seriousness, I essentially daisychained routers for this one.

I picked up a Belkin N450DB router today and decided to make another proof of concept convoluted network. I set it up in the following way:

  • Created a Wi-Fi hotspot on my Galaxy Nexus
  • Connected my laptop to the hotspot via Wi-Fi
  • Turned on Internet Connection Sharing in Microsoft Windows 7
  • Bridged the connection between my laptop ethernet port and the Modem / WAN port on the N450
  • Once the network was up and running (which it did on it's own - go Belkin!), connected my HP TouchPad (Android 4.0.x) to the network.
  • Opened Chrome and proceeded to browse to a few websites.
Again, like with the first convoluted network, I didn't want to do too much stuff on the connection because I only get 2GB / month on my phone data plan. I just wanted to see if I could get this network up and running, which I did. I really gotta hand it to Belkin though. Their network setup didn't extend past "plug in the freaking cable and be happy!" It's very refreshing to see that kind of usability in technology.

Here's a pretty picture I drew with my awesome MS Paint skills to demonstrate the network. 

Check back periodically. I'll be posting more random ideas I come up with later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment